Tuesday, 3 January 2012

Book Club

 Dai Sijie's Balzac and The Little Chinese Seamstress is the book I've sunk my teeth into for the start of the new year. Im already half way through, as it's romantic quality makes it unputdownable, but unfortunately I must resist as I am amidst a busy period of writing two big essays to complete my first semester of my masters at St. Andrews. So while I pine away at psychoanalysing Mitchell Lichtenstein's Teeth (2007) and Karyn Kusama's Jennifer's Body (2010) and whilst applying eurocentric theory to Zoltan Korda's Sanders of the Rivers (1935), I am comforted to know that during my break I can return to the pages of Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, and travel with my minds eye to the rural, hidden villages of the Mountain of the Phoenix of the Sky at the time of the Chinese Cultural Revolution and be re-educated, not by the political aim's of Mao's values, but by the spiritual awakening that the protagonist undergoes when he reads his first Western novel, Balzac's Ursule Mirouet. So far what I'm enjoying is that fact that by reading this book I can celebrate the magic of books and literature, and how deeply connected they can become with the first emotions of life, and their experience forever encapsulated or memories reverberate within favourite quotes of great books! 


Thats all for now, I will let you know more when I'm finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment